top of page

BWFC v Shard End 17th April -  Solihull Football Centre - 2-1 WIN

BWFC line up:

Keith Phipps in goal standing in for Geoff Harman who was injured playing for Over 70s prior to the game.

Paul Foster, defence

Barry Huntingdon, defence

Roy Williams, left midfield

Steve Evans, right midfield

Paul Feeney, centre midfield

Steve White, striker

Roy Atkins sub

Both teams started the game at a very fast pace and the referee had to remind all players that this was supposed to be "walking football" with minimum contact.

During the first half BWFC had to ride a number of strong challenges from the away team, especially Paul Feeney in midfield. In the first half both teams created a number of scoring opportunities but were unable to beat some tight defending with Paul Foster, Barry and Keith looking assured in defence for BWFC.

The second half continued in the same vein but it was Shard End who opened the scoring taking advantage of some sloppy defending by Birmingham. BWFC renewed their efforts to get back into the game and were rewarded when Steve White in his new role as stand-in striker had kept the Shard End defence busy and his efforts finally paid off when with his back to goal he turned on a sixpence on the edge of the area and slotted the ball home with his left foot into the corner of the Shard End net. (Fortunately for his family and friends no video is available of his goal.)

BWFC began to move the ball around with more precision which kept Shard End pegged back in their own half as they strived for the winner. The referee again warned a number of players about running and for some unknown reason he seemed to single out Roy (Road Runner) Williams in particular. Roy explained to the ref that he had had 3 weetabix for breakfast but the referee was having none of it and Roy was shown a blue card earning him a two-minute breather in the sin bin.

BWFC continued to create some neat passing moves which resulted in several attempts on goal on from Paul Feeney, Steve Evans and Roy Williams but Shard End continued to stand firm.

Eventually Steve Evans received the ball in midfield and advancing on the Shard End defence scored a great goal with a low hard drive.

With a 2-1 lead BWFC decided to shore up their defence by bringing on the very experienced Roy Atkins (on loan from the 70s team) replacing Roy Williams in left midfield who was on his fifth strike and in danger of receiving a red card.

BWFC saw out the game to win 2-1 in a generally sporting game with consistent and fair refereeing. BWFC look forward to the return game but the sides will meet in the newly formed Midlands League in May.

bottom of page